The Best MMORPGs & Multiplayer Online RPGs To Play On Nintendo Switch Console As Of 2020
The Nintendo Switch console is still one of the newest major video game console on the market, but it is already proving to be one of the most popular ever with over 35 million units sold since it launched two years ago on March 3, 2017.
MMO developers have been slow to cash in on the Switch’s ongoing success, but lately there have been a handful of games popping up to fill the hole for multiplayer RPGs on the Nintendo Switch Game Store. Listed below are the best MMOs and multiplayer online RPGs you can play on the Nintendo Switch.
Explore ancient mystical Japan filled with monsters and spirits. Follow a story-based quest line filled with Japanese lore, animated cut-scenes and evil creatures known as Kamikui.
The game world consists of large instanced open areas where dozens of players can trade, form parties, chat and dance. Follow the in-game story by playing alongside famous Japanese historical figures and myths like Shizuka Gozen and Miyamoto Musashi. Level up, gain skills and gain new equipment by beating dungeon bosses in action-styled combat.
Dash, jump, slice and shoot your way through alien enemies as one of the Tenno warriors, a race of humanoid ancient alien ninjas that wear insanely powerful exoskeletons called Warframes. Wake up from your cryo-sleep and immerse yourself in the middle of a planetary war between factions.
Gameplay mainly consists of slashing your way through missions in cooperative instanced and procedurally-generated levels and dungeons. Have a fully customizable playstyle with over 30 Warframes to choose from and more than 300 of weapons to wield like Katanas, Flamethrowers and Crossbows.
Conjure magic and swing mystical blades against adorable chibi monsters and giant fire dragons. Follow a fantasy story with anime-styled cutscenes, epic dungeon bosses and quests.
Elemental Knights Online has a social vibe and offers special locations for players to congregate and chat with each other. The combat is RPG-style.
Follow an action-packed Sci-fi fantasy story that takes place in multiple planets and solar systems. Players start the game as new recruits of an organization that sets to explore habitable planets.
Gameplay is quest based and takes place in instances determined by the quests. In most cases, instances accommodate one party of up to 4 players, but can sometimes accommodate up to 12 players. Racial choice determines appearance and stat growth while class choice determines equipable weapon types.
Begin your fantasy journey as one of six unique classes of Orgre, Weddie, Human, Elf, Puklip or Dwarf. Fight alongside team members to collect magical gems and push back the evil forces that threaten the fantasy world of Astoltia. The game’s story revolves around sealing the Lord of Hell Nelgel. Players can switch between classes freely and decorate their very own in-game home.
Based on the popular Japanese light novel series and anime Sword Art Online, Sword Art Online: Hollow Realization is a multiplayer action RPG where you take on the role of a player in a Virtual Reality MMORPG. The year is 2026 and a brand new VRMMORPG, “Sword Art: Origin,” was suddenly revealed to the world. You are part of the Closed Beta Test!
Customize your own character’s height, gender, weapons, and figure through the in-game character creation. Recruit NPCs you meet throughout the game into your party and form special bonds with them. Form four-person teams of players to fight monsters using sword skills and even perform chain attacks by using the “Switch” system for larger damage.
Mix and match different Hunting Styles with 14 different weapons types as you take on massive beasts with up to three other hunters online or via local play. Take on the role of a hunter and embark on quests to defeat dangerous monsters with your sword, hammer, bow, gun, lance or other weapon type.
Still To Be Released
“We will be working on a Nintendo Switch version of Dauntless after we wrap up our work on Xbox One and PlayStation 4.” – Phoenix Labs
- Hunt massive Behemoths in Shattered Isles in small groups
- Tactical fights that test your skills and expertise
- Various weapon types that define your fighting style
- Instanced hunting grounds that is fully alive and interactive
- Play in a world that makes you feel like you are part of the DC universe
- Build the hero of your dreams with a wide variety of special powers
- Fight alongside your favorite DC superheroes like Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman
Type: Monster-catching MMO
Expected Nintendo Switch Release Date: TBA
- Temtem creatures – Tamable creatures that share the Airborne Archipelago with humans. Each Temtem has a specific type with strengths and weaknesses against other types.
- Turn-based combat – Battle other Temtem tamers by taking turns in commanding your Temtem.
- Breeding – Put two compatible Temtem together to produce an egg and breed new Temtem with perfect stats.
- Fleshed-out story campaign – Journey across six islands while fighting against the Belsoto clan.
- Online Co-op World – Explore the massively multiplayer world of Temtem with other Temtem trainers from around the world.
- Player Housing – Decorate your own house at Atoll Row with purchasable furniture and decor.